5 MISTAKES TO AVOID WHEN SELLING YOUR HOME
Most homeowners have invested large sums of money in their homes. Not only by virtue of the fact they have paid a mortgage on the home for many years, but if you have maintained and updated your home to increase its value, you have continued to spend money. Keep reading this important report so you can avoid making costly mistakes when selling your largest investment.
- HIRING THE WRONG PERSON I need to say that the number one mistake to avoid is hiring the wrong agent to sell your home. If you have a trusted agent you have used in the past, rehire them. If not, look for these attributes when interviewing your next agent. Do you feel a trustworthiness and a good rapport with this person during your interview? Did they bring you a market data/research report showing you what the best price would be for your home based on homes that compared very closing to yours that included a time frame to get your home sold? Did they explain the advertising they would be using and how they would attract buyers to your home? Did they have experience?
- OVERPRICING YOUR HOME Regardless of what the current market is doing, never overprice your home. People think that when the market is “hot” and there are fewer homes on the market you can ask just about anything and get it. Not True! A good Realtor will always suggest pricing that follows the last comparable sale in your neighborhood or surrounding area. Overpricing today just like in the past will cause you to sit on the market waiting for a buyer and ultimately chasing it downwards with continual price reductions thereby causing you to actually lose money.
- NO PREPARATION . We suggest always putting our best foot forward when preparing to sell. Do a thorough cleaning, declutter, organize closets and cabinets, assess repairs and updates needed. This will maximize your profits and give you a return on your investment.
- POOR PHOTOGRAPHY. A picture is worth a thousand words and when Buyers are searching the internet they will scrutinize every detail of your home via the pictures you offer online so having high definition, professional photos of the inside and outside of your property are a critical piece of the advertising and selling of your home.
- BEING PRESENT AT SHOWINGS When Buyers come to view your home they are actually coming to see if they feel an emotional attachment to it. They may be excited by the pictures and the staging they saw online which caused them to want to go inside, but once they open that door and see you the homeowner, it can quickly take the excitement right out of them . Since they see you living there, they cannot see themselves living there. It is very psychological I know, but very true. This situation makes your prospective buyer uneasy about expressing their likes and dislikes and it can make you uncomfortable as well. So avoid being in attendance at showings.
For even more great tips on mistakes to avoid when selling your home, reach out to us at 816-365-9807. We are happy to provide a Free home market analysis which includes a comprehensive guide on how to prepare your home to sell and a pricing report as well. Call today!